Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Blurred lines?

My roommates and I took two of my eighth grade girls to see the new Disney movie Tangled tonight. And I will admit, it was fun! The girls had asked one day after class if I was allowed to go out with them outside of school...they said they already asked their moms and they'd sign a permission slip if needed but that they really wanted to go see this movie. Honestly, the rules are a but fuzzy for me too but I covered my bases and told em yes. So after a long day at work with lots of stress but a very good Christmas program done by my after school kids...we picked each of them up, went out to mcdonalds, and then the movies. I struggle with the friend/teacher boundary especially within this ministry. I know how important it is to have respect but I also have learned it doesn't matter how much respect you have...they need to know you care before they truly start listening. So I took this risk knowing very well it could blow up in my face tomorrow. But for the time being it was fun to joke around and be real with them. It was so crazy to see just how much they really are kids despite the grown-up front they put on all the time. They enjoyed the movie and joked about it after all giggly and everything. I will admit I wouldn't have taken just any kid out but these girls have a great respect as well as friends line. I know tomorrow morning they will be in class on time, homework done, and ready to work all the while calling me Miss Campbell. So for now this is ministry to me...I may be blurring some lines but in the long run who knows, it could make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment