Monday, March 14, 2011

Brief update

Things are officially moving forward. I applied to Indiana Wesleyan University's Transition to Teach program today as well as the Praxis II exam--got to love those standardized tests. But overall, I'm really excited to learn more about what I'm doing. I've kind of felt like I'm in this limbo this past year, trying to get a handle on this teaching thing on my own...it'll be good to get some much-needed instruction. I'm so desperate that, not only do I find myself reading teaching books, but I also asked if I could sit in on some middle-school or high-school English class to observe. I don't know if it is a pride issue or not, but I really just want to do better. I don't know, lately I've felt a bit defeated, especially when lessons don't go over the greatest in the classroom--just this feeling of, I know I can do so much better. Hopefully this helps.

As for work, nothing too exciting is going on. I've started a student blog with some of my 8th grade students. It was so fun to see them get excited about being able to share their opinions and views on different issues. We all sat around a computer this morning and chose a template. I made them write their first post as sort of an introduction to who they, as a group are, and what they want to accomplish with their blog. It was funny to see them start writing with the intention of being "beasty" and then realize they wanted to be taken seriously, then changing it. It's a week-long project. It's my hope to just get them writing and thinking critically about issues. They already want to talk about issues like immigration, well that mixed with music and movies of course :) If you're interested...the address is: http://voicesfromus.wordpress.com. I'm not sure how well it will turn out, but it's definitely something fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment